There is a nice man that we see every day standing on the median of an intersection we cross frequently. He knows us by now because we usually roll down the window to talk with him for a minute. He always writes jokes or bits of wisdom on cardboard, so you can thank him for the subject of this post.
This week, we had the awesome opportunity to listen to Elder Uchtdorf, one of the 12 living Apostles of the Jesus Christ in the world today. In his wonderful German accent, he talked to us about The Book of Mormon.
The Book of Mormon is many things. Some of its characteristics are more important than others. Here are a few of them:
The Book of Mormon is:
- A 531 page book. If you read in English.
- Free, for anyone that asks on Mormon.org for 2 guys like me to come bring it to them
- An extensive history, spanning a thousand years and 2 continents, that follows several nations’ cultures, wars, and teachings.
- A collection of philosophical writings encouraging moderation, kindness, selflessness, and courage.
- A book written by God’s anointed servants that supports and complements the Bible.
- The strongest tool God has given us in these last days to help us know that He loves us and that we can be blessed in this life and the next through His son Jesus Christ.
- Another Testament of Jesus Christ
There is a reason that the subtitle of The Book of Mormon is not “A 531-Paged Book.”
Whatever you believe or don’t believe The Book of Mormon to be, I hope you understand that you will get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you read it with the intent of reading a 531 page book, it will likely have little impact on your life. If you read it, however, to know and understand God and His plan for your life, and to get to know Jesus Christ more fully, then I promise you you will not be disappointed in your reading.
The Book of Mormon has changed my life. I love using it to help other people change their lives as well.
“Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth.”—Mormon 9:21
He has made His promise, now let us take action to receive those blessings.
The work is going great here in Richmond! Missions are awesome!